The Battleground Communications Director will lead all messaging initiatives on behalf of the NYDems Coordinated Campaign’s Battleground Program. Reporting to the Battleground Director, this individual should be a self-starting strategist who is motivated to do the hard work to elect Democrats in New York State.
- 2-3 cycles of campaign communications experience on competitive general election races; experience working with national and local New York press will be highly valued
- Experience building a communications strategy that speaks to diverse constituencies across New York State; comfort pitching and building relationships with reporters including speaking on and off the record
- A strong ability to demonstrate cultural competence and the skills needed to work meaningfully with those who are culturally different from the self; a commitment to fostering a positive working environment grounded in the ideals of diversity, equity and inclusion
- Highly organized work style and a strong ability to multitask and communicate across teams
- Strong interpersonal skills, especially the ability to build relationships, listen, collaborate, and lead with respect and professionalism
- Serve as the primary spokesperson on behalf of the Coordinated Campaign Battleground Program, fielding all incoming requests
- Develop and manage a targeted communications plan in collaboration with the Battleground Director, Regional Political Directors, and the Coordinated Campaign to effectively drive locally-focused, constituency-specific positive Democratic messaging in key media markets
- Collaborate in tandem with the State Party communications staff
Work with Democratic candidates and committees on messaging and media training in battleground-targeted areas
- Work with national partners to hold GOP incumbents accountable for their extremism; help leverage key political moments to maximize earned media opportunities for negative messaging
- Pitch and build relationships with reporters across New York to accomplish all of the above
Pay Range: $6,000/mo to $8,000/mo + benefits. Actual pay will vary based on various factors, including but not limited to experience.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org your resume and cover letter to apply
The New York State Democratic Party is an equal opportunity organization and we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, non-disqualifying disability, gender identity or expression, familial status, genetic information, veteran status, military status, or upon any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.