On Debate Stage, Lee Zeldin and Andrew Giuliani Defend Trump’s Coup
For Immediate Release: June 15, 2022
NEW YORK, NY: As the House Select Committee to Investigate the January 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol continues, highlights from the New York GOP debate show Lee Zeldin and Andrew Giuliani defending disgraced President Donald Trump and his involvement in the insurrection.
When asked about the riot on the U.S. Capitol, Zeldin falsely defended the former president stating, "President Trump told his supporters to go peacefully and patriotically to the Capitol." Zeldin also supported Trump for a run in 2024 stating, "he should run and I believe that he will be the Republican nominee and he'll win." Andrew Giuliani went on to say that Trump was "a great president" and, "I'm hopeful that he runs again."
Here is a short list of what Lee Zeldin and Andrew Giuliani have done to support President Trump and promote his far-right extremism:
- Zeldin was "point man" for Donald Trump's impeachment trial, often joining the president on Air Force One in exchange for the Congressman’s support.
- Lee Zeldin continued to align himself with the former President and voted against certifying the 2020 election.
- Zeldin has ties to a Long Island extremist group known as the Long Island Loud Majority which attended the January 6 insurrection and regularly hosts extremist rallies.
- Giuliani confirmed his belief in the big lie, stating, "I think it is very likely that President Donald Trump was reelected on November 3, 2020."
- Andrew Giuliani’s father, Rudy Giuliani appeared "inebriated" during election night and convinced President Trump to declare victory and that the election was stolen.